Old September 20th 05, 04:22 PM

buttman wrote:

Right now I am doing my CFI training which I should finish up before
Thanksgiving, and my commercial checkride is scheduled for a week from
today. I know that once I lose my medical I can't do any part 119 or 91
operations, but I heard you can do flight instruction, is that correct?

You need to learn about Light Sport Aircraft before you go any further
with this. It might be a way out for you.

If you haven't ever been denied a medical (i.e. you know you won't get
one but you haven't applied) then you can instruct for pay in Light
Sport Aircraft. A so-called Driver's License medical is all you need
unless your most recent application for an FAA cert was rejected. If
you have a valid medical now, but start taking a drug which is not
approved, just *don't* apply for a new medical. I know it's kinda
byzantine, but welcome to the FAA. Sportpilot.org can tell you more.

-cwk.

PS- Better bone up on those FARs... Instructing is Part 91, with or
without a medical. FWIW yes, you can instruct without a medical, but
only when students are legal as PIC, so no primary instruction, no IFR
in actual unless the student is licensed and current, etc. etc. An old
dog with a lot of experience might be able to make a market doing
specialty instruction, but a new CFI who can't do primary instruction
is like tits on a bull.