Old November 12th 06, 02:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Doug Palmer

Default UV Smooth Prime

OK the rumors about UVSP have me paranoid now. I know some folks have had
nightmarish problems with this product but I am hopeing that there are some
success stories out there as well as it is still on the market. I have been
using UVSP on my project during the build and now extensively during
painting. I use it as the exclusive primer and have been spraying Imron
5000 over the top, no sealer or additional primer. I have been doing it
this way as this is how, when I started using the product 4-5 years ago,
polyfiber said it could be used. Reading Polyfibers website, they NOW
reccommend a epoxy primer over the UVSP, and they reccommend a 3 week dry
time, using a dehumidifier! The underside was painted four years or more
ago and so far I have had no problems with blistering, flaking, or fadeing
but I have not had the plane out in the sun for any extended periods. It is
also an amphibian so I have some parts sitting in water, so far no problems.

Soooo, my question is what are others experiences with UVSP, How did you use
it? How long have you had the paint in service? If you had problems, how
long did it take them to manifest themselves? Do you have any theories why
you had a problem?

If you have used it successfully Please fill us in, some positive stories
are welcome too!

Thanks