Old November 15th 06, 10:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
.Blueskies.

Default UV Smooth Prime

"Morgans" wrote in message ...
:
:
: I suspect the problem was that of the primer, not of the topcoats.
:
: Ever notice(d) what the 1987 and 88 (and perhaps 89) automobiles with light blue
: and gray paint did? Most, if not all had the paint peeling off in sheets or
: fading all of the way off, without starting to strip them. You may have not
: noticed that, but I did. I had one of the automobiles that had said light blue
: paint. I would stand there (usually at the gas pump while I was doing nothing
: else) and peel off silver dollar sized sheets of topcoat with my fingernail.
: There was a recall that I did not take advantage of, (because I was a
: contractor, with 7 people depending on my van being there with the tools
: everyday) until it was too late, and had expired. Expired? Ridiculous. That
: sort of thing should never expire. I still have not forgiven GM for that one.
:
: I was told that the problem started while the paint companies were trying to
: meet new regulations for the amount of volatiles in the paint, and the new
: formulas did not have adequate UV resistance, which would cause the bond between
: topcoat and primer to break down. The light gray and blue topcoats were the
: worst at letting UV through, I guess. I don't know for sure if that was the real
: answer, but there was a real problem. Perhaps that was a common link with your
: problem.
: --
: Jim in NC

My '85 Bronco II was charcoal colored, and the paint came off. It was really bad on the Fords...