Old December 28th 10, 01:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default 2011 USA Proposed Competition Rules Changes Posted.

On Dec 27, 8:00*pm, Andy wrote:
On Dec 27, 4:54*pm, "Wayne Paul" wrote:

"John Godfrey (QT)" wrote in ...

Discussion invited.

http://www.ssa.org/files/member/2011...20Summary%2010....

John Godfrey (QT)
SSA Competition Rules Committee

After reading through the rules it is my assumption that both SPOT and APRS systems are allowed.

Wayne
HP-14 "6F"

I wondered about that. *What commercially available device performs
the complete APRS function?

If the intent of the rule is to deny use of prohibited functionality
why does it matter if a device or system that provides permitted
functionality is commercially available?

Andy

Wording is specifying commercially produced devices ie. Flarm and not
some homebuilt device
that someone my claim is equivalent.
Limit of functionality can be used to ensure , if this path is chosen,
that outside information is limited to that
which satisfies the anti collision objective, without providing
additional information that is useful tactically, such as
gaggles, climb rates, possibly energy paths that are not permitted
under the current rules philosophy.
What and how all this nay be done will be a long topic with many
opinions.
UH