Old May 11th 07, 03:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Burns[_2_]

Default A hot start question

Chris,
It seems like you're getting plenty of Continental tips, this is what we do
for the IO540's in our Aztec. Aztec's are known for difficult hot starts
due to their tight cowlings that rap their IO-540 Lycoming engines. Only a
week ago a fellow Aztec driver arrived at STE and refused an immediate
refueling because he could never get it re-started when hot. The following
is our method and it hasn't failed us yet.

Throttles full open.
Mixtures full rich.
Boost pumps on ONLY until you see the slightest movement from the fuel flow
indicator.
Immediately turn pumps off, mixtures idle cut off, throttles off then
cracked open. Now crank.
While we crank we can watch the compression build as the prop slows
slightly, within the next full turn the engine will fire.
As the engine fires, mixture up to ONLY 1/3-1/2 position.
Hand back to throttle to jockey it slightly if the engine stumbles.

One point that I try to enforce when teaching students about hot starts is
to remind themselves about the density altitude INSIDE the cylinder, where
combustion takes place. The correct fuel/air mixture "window" is relatively
small but this is your goal. Hot engine, thin air... it won't take much fuel
to reach the proper mixture for combustion.

Some POH's, including the Aztec's advocate putting the engine into a "known
condition". Basically intentionally flooding the engine and then cranking
to pump air through the cylinders until the additional air added to the
excess fuel finally brings the overly rich mixture down to combustible
level.

When I gave air rides in an Archer with a typical O-360, I would simply
start with the throttle at idle, mixture rich then as I cranked pulled the
mixture towards idle cut off. Without fail it would fire right up as I
reached about 1/2 position on the mixture.

Jim