Old May 24th 09, 12:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ron Rosenfeld

Default Cessna 172 Empty CGs

On Sat, 23 May 2009 12:53:24 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

I'm working with a Cessna 172A, which is the '59 model.

It has a full panel with a pair of KX170s, and an ADF. It has been
modified with the 0-300D engine which supports a vacuum pump.
This is the 6 cylinder engine with Millenium cylinders. I don't think
they add much weight -- but it would be forward if they did.

According to the paperwork, the empty CG is so far forward that
I can barely load it in limits. With one in the front seat, it
requires
a 40# weight in the baggage compartment. With two in the front seats,
I don't think you could put enough weight in the baggage compartment
to get it in limits, tho leaving some gas out does help. With 3 in
the
airplane, it is at gross and in CG but is still close to the forward
limit.

It flies as if the CG is forward. Takes a good effort to really get
it
planted on the main wheels without touching the nosewheel.

It would help me if anyone with an older 172 (or any 172 actually)
would
post their empty weight and CG arm so I can sanity check
the paperwork on this one.

Thanks,
Bill Hale Loveland CO CFI

You can always get that data, for the unmodified a/c, from the FAA website
collection of Type Certificate Data Sheets.

For the C172A: (see

http://www2.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library%5CrgMakeModel.nsf/0/9F56B5DA3FEB757E862574780058E45A/$FILE/3A12.pdf

or http://tinyurl.com/odd9ct

C.G. Range Normal (+40.8) to (+46.4) at 2200 lbs.
(+36.4) to (+46.4) at 1733 lbs.
Utility category (+38.4) to (+40.3) at 1950 lbs.
(+36.4) to (+40.3) at 1733 lbs. or less

Straight line variation between points given.

Empty Weight C.G. Range None

*Maximum Weight Normal category 2200 lbs.
Utility category 1950 lbs.
--ron