Old April 14th 06, 08:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Big Iron pilot made young boys day!

"Jay Beckman" posted the exciting message

"Jack Allison" wrote in
message ...
Jay Beckman wrote:

Got to sit in the left seat and had a really nice 20-25 minute BS
session with the FO as he was finishing up entering data into the
FMS.

First all the military hardware, now this. Where does it end Jay?
Very cool.

If only the world situation would again allow future pilots the
opportunity to see what the world *below* looks like from the "pointy
part."

Well, when I flew KLM LAX-AMS in the late 1990's, I actually asked to
visit the flight deck (over Greenland). I had a nice chat with the
captain. This was allowed since it was not a US airline.

On another flight (circa 2000) I got to fly Virgin LAX-HHR. While
boarding with a coworker, he told me he had once ridden a landing in the
cockpit. I told him I wouldn't dare ask for that. Well we got in and sat
down in non-adjacent seats; he talked to the flight attendant, and next
thing I knew he came to me and said - "I'm riding takeoff, you're riding
landing". So he went up to the cockpit and got to sit jumpseat on a dusk
takeoff out of LAX on a 747-400. Arriving over the UK, the flight
attendant fetched me when we were at about 10K feet. I got to sit
jumpseat and even got a headset, rode the landing at Heathrow all the way
to the gate!

And here I am, just a little old Cherokee 140 pilot! Such a great
experience! I'm very greatful to my coworker, that would never happen
today. It was a once in a lifetime experience.

Prime Factor