Old November 15th 06, 08:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Ricardo

Default China sub stalked U.S. fleet

Kyle Boatright wrote:
"Harry Andreas" wrote in message

In article ,
wrote:

China sub stalked U.S. fleet
By Bill Gertz
THE WASHINGTON TIMES
Published November 13, 2006

A Chinese submarine stalked a U.S. aircraft carrier battle group in
the Pacific last month and surfaced within firing range of its
torpedoes and missiles before being detected, The Washington Times has
learned.

Where's the evidence that the US fleet did not detect it?
For all the WT knows there was a LA class sub sitting 500 yards astern
the Chinese sub the whole time.

--
Harry Andreas
Engineering raconteur

Even better, the Chinese probably don't know if they were detected either.
Making no public comment is a very clever move by the Navy. Maybe the
Chinese got close to a nuke carrier with a sub and it didn't get detected.
On the other hand, maybe it was detected and tracked for a week beforehand.

The Chinese will probably never know. Which would make it that much harder
for them to decide how to use their subs if a conflict erupted...

Of course, the balancing thing is that until America provokes a conflict
with China, she won't know either!

It was in July when we were told of the despatch of the US aircraft
carrier USS Bonhomme Richard to the Pacific - just one of 41 vessels
and 160 aircraft - as a 'warning' to China!

I'm sure China really appreciated that - if they had done something
similar the USA would still be cowering in its bunkers.

Ricardo

--
"Quick to judge, quick to anger, slow to understand
Ignorance and prejudice, and fear, walk hand in hand ..."