Thread: MATs
View Single Post
Old January 28th 15, 07:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Kelley #711
external usenet poster

Default MATs

If you think weather is either 1) random or 2) mostly local knowledge. Heck, the 1-turn MAT day at Montague was won by a talented pilot from...(wait for it)...Brooklyn. Why? Superior strategy and flawless execution of that strategy. It wasn't random - after the race a lot of pilots were saying "wish I'd thought of that!"

AS UH has already stated, theirs NO AST's in the USA

10.3.2 Task Types
10.3.2.1 Assigned Task (AT)- Speed over a course of one or more designated turnpoints, with a finish at the contest site.
10.3.2.2 Modified Assigned Task (MAT) - Speed over a course of one or more turnpoints, with a finish at the contest site.

Their are "conditions" to meet on both task's. Some CD's(which we are not overflowing with in numbers) including me, have called 8 plus turnpoints for a MAT with a min time. When I called this task at R9, most had a "wow" factor. But at the end of the day, every(yes, everyone, as I rode around on my motorcycle and asked) entrant that flew this task gave me a "thumbs up". Numerous entrants said it was the best task and most fun they had ever had on a contest day task.
This long turn MAT was even done by "Charlie S" as it allows "windows" where if your slower you can still get home. It is a speed task. A zero turn or one turn MAT does NOT favor anyone. The winner is the one who made the best decisions on that particular day.

Fact. The top guys even "screw up" and make bad decisions. They win by making better decisions with fewer bad decisions. Everything, yes, everything happens for a reason. Some "reason" happens because we are stupid and make bad decisions. This post shows I am still capable of making bad decisions.

The next statement is also a bad decision. BUT 9B get your "****" straight, as their were two (2) one turn MAT's days at Montague 15M's. The first one was won by a "Old, grumpy man from New Mexico"....and he enjoyed every minute of it!

CD's, with their advisers, along with the weatherman, really know their stuff. Second guessing them, after the fact, not even being their is IMHO....(I'll stop here and show I still can make good decisions)...but its what your thinking.

Best. #711.