Old July 3rd 19, 03:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

Default Sad Day

Wind and abrupt terrain can get together to produce nasty windshears. I was extremely lucky to survive a near 30 kt windshear on final downwind of a 50 ft ridge 250' above it. Because my recorder showed TAS and groundspeed at one second intervals,I was able to identify a vortex and downburst.

Oudies have a recovery buffer that has been used in accident analysis. Other flight computers may have similar data available for analysis.

I'm happy to share my methodology on request.