Old October 17th 19, 10:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

Default 2019 SSA Contest Rules Pilot Opinion Poll Now Open

On Wednesday, October 16, 2019 at 2:05:51 PM UTC-6, Tango Eight wrote:
On Sunday, October 13, 2019 at 9:06:47 PM UTC-4, Andy Blackburn wrote:
Popping the survey notification up in the stack. One week to go.

US contest pilots.

The 2019 SSA Contest Rules Pilot Opinion Poll is now open and will remain open through October 20, 2019. You must be on the SSA Pilot Ranking List to participate. We look forward to your input.

You can access the poll online at: http://www.adamsfive.com/a5soaring/survey/surveys.php

For the SSA Contest Rules Committee
Andy Blackburn, Chair
9B

Hi Andy,

Would you please clarify what you mean (Section 6.0) w.r.t. "Task Definitions and Scoring Formulae"? Specifically...

1. Does "Task Definition" explicitly include the FAI unlimited altitude line start as used in Europe and exclude various modifications that many here in the US will attempt to graft on (speed/altitude/time under limits)? IMO the start definition is the most significant difference in task definition between current US and FAI rules. It's probably also worth pointing out that there isn't really any motivation to use provisions in the FAI rules that are never or rarely used elsewhere (e.g. the start ring).

2. Does "Scoring Formulae" mean per 2019 FAI rules, or does it mean "whatever the FAI will use in any given year going forward"? The FAI scoring formulae are currently under scrutiny and may well change radically in the next year or two (thanks Rick, thanks John). I have very different opinions on the current FAI scoring rules and the US proposal. It seems like it would be dumb to use the 2019 FAI rules if the US proposal does continue forward.

Aside: to Ken's points about losing combined 15m/std handicap and Sports classes, I think this need not be the case. The recently completed PanAm shows how a 15m/std handicapped class works under FAI rules and since the FAI doesn't recognize Sports class, we can (continue to) do that pretty much any way we see fit.

best,
Evan Ludeman "T8"

Evan,

1. The issue of unlimited start height has already being addressed. There are provisions for the CD to limit the start height and this was used this year at 2019 European Gliding Championships at Prievidza, Slovakia.

2. By adopting the FAI rules, the US would use the current scoring formula that is being used in a given year by the FAI. If and when new rules are adapted the US would use those rules. While some in the US think this change will happen quickly many of us realize that it may be many years before they change, if ever. Waiting for the change continues to harm US Team pilots ability to fly and race under the same conditions as other countries.

I specifically went to the PanAm Championships this year to get more experience under FAI rules. For most of the US Team pilots the first time we fly under FAI rules is when we go to a World Championships. Then everyone in the US wonders why US pilots do so poorly. The answer is simple, we are playing a differ game and then expected to learn a new one while competing against the best pilots in the world at the same time. I see so many negative comments about flying under the FAI rules from pilots who have not done so in 20 or more years. All of the pilots that I know that have competed under the rules are for the change. We have a group that thinks our rules are superior to the rest of the world. Where are the results to back that up?

Wouldn't having pilots place well in World Championships bring more excitement to soaring in the US as a whole? As our top pilots get better, that will translate into all of our pilots getting better. We all learn and push each other to improve. You rise to the level of your competition.

It is time for the US to adopt the FAI rules and work from within to make changes if we feel there are areas for improvement.

Tim "TT"