Old February 22nd 04, 06:25 PM
Michael Kelly

Ed Rasimus wrote:

[snip]
The concern with age isn't a factor at 24. Max age for selection used
to be 26.5 and max for entry to training was 27.5. Waivers were
occasionally possible for older. Right now, he's heart of the
envelope.

Ed, the age limit has gone up to 29.5 at application and 30 by entry
into SUPT. I'm 29 and have an active application in at the moment. You
can also get a one time age waiver after 30, but most persons receiving
that are active duty applicants.

Real factor is college grad and getting a slot in a commissioning
program. With low requirements there are few "after graduation"
opportunities for a pilot training slot. First priority is USAFA, then
ROTC and finally the excess commitments get an OTS opportunity. Dare I
suggest that an ANG slot for pilot training, particularly in a
fast-mover equipped unit, would be the only guarantee.

AFROTC and OTS are still available opportunities. With the shortage of
officers as of late a 2 year ROTC course is offered. I did that while
earning my masters degree. ROTC offer's a far better chance of being
selected for SUPT that OTS. Also, a masters degree is always a bonus
for career development, even if the current COS says that it is no
longer a promotion requirement.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"