Old December 22nd 03, 07:42 PM
Robert M. Gary

"Matthew S. Whiting" wrote in message ...
Robert M. Gary wrote:
"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message link.net...

Yes, pretty hard to size water "droplets" when they are submillimeter to
micron sizes. That's why I advocate allowing the pilot the latitude to
take a look and make the call in real-time. Same as judging visibility
on an ILS. It is what it is when you are there, not what someone on the
ground things it is.

I 100% agree with you. This modern FAA attitude of "you will burst
into flames if a piece of ice gets on your plane" is probably not
helping anyone other than to keep IFR pilots on the ground on days
when ice can still be avoided. I'm not discounting the dangers of ice
and I would never just hang out in it but I agree that pilot's should
have more latitude.

-Robert