Old February 18th 21, 01:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
India November[_2_]

Default The Yellow Triangle

On Wednesday, February 17, 2021 at 10:32:39 AM UTC-5, Christoph Barniske wrote:
The yellow triangle marks is defined in CS 22.145 as the lowest approach speed (at maximum weight without water ballast) recommended by the manufacturer. So it should be treated as a minimum value without any margins.

Christoph

To be clear, my Discus 2b flight manual states the yellow triangle is the lowest approach speed at maximum mass without water ballast, with air brakes fully extended and landing gear down. For the D2B the triangle is marked at 54 kt IAS. That's over 20kts faster than the stall speed given in the flight manual for the same configuration.

In normal calm conditions where I fly near Ottawa, I try to be at, or just a few kts faster, than the bug speed on final approach but faster depending on wind and gust conditions.

Ian IN