Old March 12th 20, 05:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default LiFePo Refit Part 23 AC

That's why when I replaced the SLA tail battery in my Experimental
LAK-17a with a LiFePO4, I placed the new battery behind the seat back.Â*
I replaced the weight removed from the tail with an ingot of lead of the
same weight as the battery that was removed.Â* The lead ingot was sealed
in the LAK removable battery box that was designed to fit that location.

On 3/12/2020 9:10 AM, Jonathon May wrote:
If you are changing from, SLA to lipo the distance from the Cof G is
important .
Just changing the nose battery in a ventus to lipo could make for a very
interesting day.

At 14:43 12 March 2020, Eric Greenwell wrote:
wrote on 3/12/2020 1:35 AM:
I'll second the recommendation on batteries OUT for trailering.

Especially tail fin installs.

Is that based on gel coat cracking (the original reason for removing the
tail
battery), the potential for fires caused by the battery while trailering,
or to
protect the battery from damage during trailering?

Removing the main batteries from a Schleicher motorglider (ASH 26E and
later), and
DG motorgliders is very time-consuming. Since I'm not aware of any

problems
caused
by leaving the main batteries in during trailering in these gliders, I
think
removing and replacing them is likely to cause more problems than it
avoids.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (change ".netto" to ".us" to email
me)

Dan, 5J