Old May 21st 05, 10:08 PM
Ben Hallert

Default Standard Weather Briefing efficiency

Hi guys,

Got a strange question for you. When I flew in Los Angeles, I'd call
800-WX-BRIEF, get connected to the local FSS and the call would go like
this.

Him: "Hawthorne flight service."
Me: "I'd like a standard weather briefing."
Him: "Go ahead."
At this point, I'd just list off all the data. Tail number, aircraft
type, departure airport, waypoint, destination, estimated time enroute,
altitudes, and time of departure. Then the briefer would start the
briefing.

Here in Oregon, I call the FSS and make the same request, and it seems
like every time, the briefer wants to do a question/answer session.
Eg:
Me: "I'd like a standard weather briefing."
Him: "Ok. What's your tail number?"
Me: (tail number)
Him: "Alright, aircraft type?"
Me: (aircraft type)
Him: "Where are you flying from today?"
.....and so on.

It's not a big deal, but I like hitting them with the standard format
and getting my briefing, and at the same time, I don't want to be rude.

Is there some better way I can ask for the briefing that'll let me do
it the way I used to without sounding like a prick? Or do I just need
to adapt to a more laid back style and go with it? If there's a code
phrase or methodology I can use, I'm all ears. If not, no worries I
guess.

Thanks!