Old November 27th 06, 07:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Newps

Default Did I violate an FAR?

Mark Hansen wrote:

"Cleared for the approach" is different. In my area, the controllers will
at times use the phrase "approved for the approach" as a way to make it
clear that this is a practice approach, but not all controllers do that.

That's not correct. The phrase you're thinking of is "Practice approach
approved, no separation services provided." This means ATC will not be
providing the standard separation to VFR practice approaches of 3 miles
or 500 feet.

He did NOT say "maintain VFR" which is why I
responded that I WANTED to do it VFR and he responded that I HAD to be
"in the system". The phraseology was ambiguous all around.

The way to respond in this situation is to simply say "Roger, understand
I'm VFR." Or words to that effect.

I'm not sure he has to remind you to maintain VFR. This is, after all,
the PIC's responsibility. The controllers in my area do this anyway FWIW.

The controller is required to tell you to maintain VFR one time, as soon
as possible upon initial contact or finding out you want practice
approaches.