Old December 26th 06, 01:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Paavola

Default 2-Batteries

Gary Emerson wrote:
wrote:
By all means a second battery should be installed in our electrically
driven modern sailplanes. After many years of quickly flipping my
3-position battery switch, and trying not to have my logger to
momentarily dropout, I have concluded that is best to use 2 single-pole
battery switches. That way one can have either or both batteries
connected at the same time.

I saw the light when Jim Hendrix brought his sailplane to Caddo Mills
for Wing Deturbulator flight testing, and it was wired like that. You
will hear much more about that amazing new invention at the coming SSA
Convention.

Thermally,

Dick Johnson

Better yet is to use diodes so that both batteries will always be "on"
in parallel and you're always pulling from the best battery with no
fiddling required from the pilot. Relatively low voltage drop diodes
are available with 18 Amp forward capacity. For redundancy, I used two
in parallel on each battery. The diodes are available in the TO-220
package and it's easy to incorporate a small heat sink, but I have no
reason to believe they ever attained any temperature at all.

With two batteries connected with switches, if one battery does really
"die" then any time spent with both switches in the "on" position causes
the good battery to attempt to charge the "dead" battery to no avail, so
ultimately you're wasting what power you do have during this time. The
diodes eliminate any chance for cross charging...or discharging. Used
this system for several years, never experienced a single power issue.

If both batteries are on-line all the time, how do you know when one is
getting weak and needs to be replaced? Or do you replace both batteries
when voltage is marginal at the end of a flight?

I've been using the 2 toggle switch solution for years. I replace a
battery when it discharges within 5 hours. This means I've always got at
least 10 hours worth of battery (assuming I've recharged the batteries).

Steve