Old September 10th 11, 12:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default Fly the aircraft

On 9/9/11 3:49 PM, Ramy wrote:
On Sep 9, 10:15 am, wrote:
On Sep 8, 7:41 pm, Carl wrote:

Modern gliders give very little indications of a stall (another reason
why training in old clunkers like the 2-33 is counterproductive). Add
a little distraction or a higher priority task (Bee in the cockpit!)

Is a bee in the cockpit enough of a distraction or a higher priority
task than flying
the aircraft. If you think so you should reread "Fate is the Hunter".

Carl B

my first flight in the LS-7WL I had to deal with a bee in the cockpit,
I did fly the airplane, and I did get it squashed against the canopy
frame............what worried me most was loosing sight of it and
having it get behind me or down my shirt collar.

I've had stinging insects hit the window pillar of my car before and
then lodge between my back and the seat................. unfortunately
the impact with the car didn't kill them, I got stung but I also
ground them to paste between my back and the seat..........yeah, it
hurt a lot..............would not want to deal with that in the
cockpit in the air.

Brad

I wonder if some of the many unexplained fatal accidents can be
attributed to bees/snakes/spiders/mice etc. No need to be alergic,
panic may be sufficient to incapacitate...

Ramy

Your probably thinking of the snake found in a glider undercarriage
recently in Nevada (any idea what type of snake it was?).

There is also the (true) story of hypoxic mice staggering out into a
glider cockpit as the pilot calmly picked them up and tossed them out
the vent window. Those mice, besides filling up the glider with mice
crap (and maybe Hantavirus), maybe fleas, nesting material etc., tend to
chew on things and may also attack those snakes....

Darryl