Old October 29th 07, 11:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gatt

Default Fire Spotting.

"EridanMan" wrote in message
ups.com...

So my question is, as a private pilot, should I feel a 'duty' to call
in forest fires? Is it actually helpful?

During my commercial checkride in June, the examiner had me divert during a
maneuver to go check out smoke coming from a stand of forest. Turned out it
was a controlled burn and there was equipment on the scene, so we went back
about our business. He specifically indicated, however, that checking out
a fire is the right thing to do if you see one.

(It's also a boost to general aviation's reputation of you're the first to
spot a fire and the media finds out.)

-c