Old June 9th 12, 07:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
db_sonic[_2_]

Default Sigh... (USA)

On Jun 9, 11:17*am, Vaughn wrote:
On 6/9/2012 1:52 PM, Kimmo Hytoenen wrote:

FLARM can be a very good system. However, there are some
issues which I am not sure if FLARM as a company is taking
seriously enough. In US PowerFLARM seems to have some
advantages over European version.

This is a report of a very unfortunate midair, which should have
been avoided. Both planes had FLARM systems installed.

http://www.turvallisuustutkinta.fi/1302672994222

FLARM is an imperfect warning system just as parachutes are an imperfect
rescue system. *Clearly (and tragically) FLARM failed to prevent the
above referenced accident. *But also notice that one pilot was saved by
his parachute, while the other unfortunately wasn't.

Does the above accident imply that parachutes are a bad investment?
Obviously the answer is no. *Parachutes clearly save lives, even though
they are imperfect.

Does the above accident imply that FLARM is a bad investment?
Same answer as above, same reasoning.

Vaughn

Could good "old" PCAS help in this situation assuming both gliders
have transponders and are being interrogated.
And for that matter the one at AirSailing (hopefully we will find out
if they had this equipment). It too is far from perfect but the alert
it gives never fails to get my attention and elevates scan to the top
priority of my pilot load(or equal with flying the plane).