Old September 30th 14, 03:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

Default PowerFLARM Core secondary FLARM antenna

On Tuesday, September 30, 2014 10:31:36 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tuesday, September 30, 2014 9:12:36 AM UTC+1, Tim Newport-Peace wrote:

Not so surprising really. I can think of one Flight Recorder straight

away which is fitted with ENL hardware, but requires a licence key to

enable it, for which there is a charge.

A licence key scheme for additional features isn't unusual or surprising. What surprises me is that it's being applied to functionality that only seems relevant to FLARM's most basic feature as an electronic conspicuity aid.. If one antenna transmitting in the forward arc with another antenna covering the blind spot is the ideal install, why make it more expensive and more hassle to adopt that configuration?

I was surprised that when mine came, supposedly IGC approved, that it was not calibrated. Paying the extra licence fee and then having to spend another additional charge for calibration would be even worse.

2D