Old November 30th 04, 02:57 AM
gregg

john smith wrote in message
.. .
Part of my preflight routine on my Champ is to lift the tail and grab
the tailsprings to assure the bolts are tight. A friend had a broken
leaf spring once from landing at an unimproved strip (a harvested
cornfield).
Tailwheel maintenance is something that must not be overlooked between
annuals.
In addition to the security of the tailwheel spring bolts, you can also
check the condition of the wheel bearings, hub and axle, and pivot, lock
mechanism and bearings. Don't forget to add grease to the fitting every
couple of months.

Is there a document that describes how the tailwheel mechanism on a J-3 is
designed, and how it works? I've done a web search on it and didn't find an
explanation of the "detent".

Are most/all J-3 tailwheels the same design?

I took my first ride in a J-3, 2 weeks ago. I got a feel for the "detent"
during taxi practice. It SEEMED that if you didn't push on the rudder too
far, you stayed within the "detent" but if you pushed too far you popped it
out. I could feel when that happened.

Once it popped it seemed that no amount of pushing on the rudder had effect
- so I was castoring?

I got on the brake right away and got her straightened out, and wobbled the
rudders and it got "back" into detent. But I'd like to know, mechanically
what's happening. If there's a drawing I could look at, that might help.

thanks