Old January 9th 04, 02:48 AM

The control linkage that actually tilts the head is mounted 90 degrees
away from the actual intended movement. It appears that BJ took
gyroscopic precession into consideration when he designed this head.

But, like I said, nobody, not even BJ, would ever consider this
approach for a new design. He used this design because it was the
best he could come up with at the time that didn't violate anybody's
patents.

I'm going to change it myself as soon as is feasible.

Dennis.

"Andrew Crane" wrote:

OK - silly question. On the face of it, it seems to make a lot of sense to
do it this way

- simple connection - you could probably lose the swashplate somehow too
- fewer cyclical forces on components
- less chance of mast bumping

What are the downsides other than potentially odd handling?

I should imagine that the control forces would be enormous and pushing the
rotor head forwards would cause the fuselage to pitch backwards for a
start-off.

Regards
Andrew

--
Inweb Networks. Quality internet and telecoms services
Sales: 08000 612222 Support: 08704322222. http://www.inweb.co.uk

Dennis Hawkins
n4mwd AT amsat DOT org (humans know what to do)

"A RECESSION is when you know somebody who is out of work.
A DEPRESSION is when YOU are out of work.
A RECOVERY is when all the H-1B's are out of work."

To find out what an H-1B is and how Congress is using
them to put Americans out of work, visit the following
web site and click on the "Exporting America" CNN news
video: http://zazona.com/ShameH1B/MediaClips.htm