Old January 12th 04, 02:55 PM

The scorpion head is not the best design in the world. However, as
far as the tilting, an R22 doesn't really tilt on a U-joint, but an
optical illusion makes it look like that. The scorpion really does
tilt.

I have looked at the R22 head and this looks like a nice one. I am
planning some kind of hybrid between the R22 and Bell using
elastomeric bearings. There is no grease in an elastomeric bearing.

This, of course, assumes that I don't find a cheap one on ebay.

Dennis.

"Bob" wrote:

Dennis...
I will admit that I've only seen ( up close and personal) a Scorpion ONCE
in my 20 year career as a heavy helicopter mechanic, inspector, chief
inspector etc. etc., and that one look was MORE than enough for me. I don't
even have enough imagination, nor do I care to, picture cyclic change
without blade pitch change. Maybe Sikorsky and Bell, and Boeing et.al. are
missing something important all these years, huh? I never saw ANY real
helicopter that slings grease the way you're talking about unless something
is RADICALLY WRONG. Therein lies clue #1. I always thought they should
just put servos in the thing, hand ya a radio and let you keep your
distance.
I could make better rotor head parts in my cellar, and you strap your ass to
that thing? I STRONGLY suggest a have look a a few REAL helicopters for
some good design comparisons any of which can be done before or after you
have your head examined.

Good Luck!
Bob V.

Dennis Hawkins
n4mwd AT amsat DOT org (humans know what to do)

"A RECESSION is when you know somebody who is out of work.
A DEPRESSION is when YOU are out of work.
A RECOVERY is when all the H-1B's are out of work."

To find out what an H-1B is and how Congress is using
them to put Americans out of work, visit the following
web site and click on the "Exporting America" CNN news
video: http://zazona.com/ShameH1B/MediaClips.htm