Old April 5th 07, 05:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Private

Default Who pays follow-up

"David Lesher" wrote in message
"Private" writes:

Taking the camshaft out of our IC engines is going to provide significant
performance improvement and additional capabilities. The Audi V12 racing
engine is diesel fueled with full electronic control of valves and
injectors. Common rail injection using VERY high fuel pressure. There
may
be more use of 2 stroke?

First I've heard of the Audi.

I don't know exactly how they planned to activate the valves; there's
a major amount of work involved in same, over small distances & very
short times. I know various cars advance/retard the camshaft timing
but that's a little easier...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi_R10
http://www.audiusa.com/audi/us/en2/e...sport/r10.html
http://www.audiusa.com/audi/us/en2/e...di_engine.html

I recently spoke to a suspension engineer for this team. He told me that
the valves had magnetic stems and were actuated by electrically energizing
opening and closing coils with light or no springs. This contradicts the
information in the links above which refer to DOHC. I have also heard that
Cat has had a running prototype heavy diesel with no camshaft.

Happy landings,