Old October 11th 04, 06:14 AM
tony roberts

Hi Greg

There are only 3 times that planes make strange noises -
Over mountains,
Over water,
And at night.

I fly night approx every 2 weeks which gives me full moon and no moon.
If I take off at night I only fly areas that I know.
Lately I have been trying a different tack - I live in a valley
surrounded by lots of ranges of mountains.
Lately I have been flying out and timing my return leg so that I am over
my highest peak as night falls- and then returning home. It's great
experience - and I've heard the engine make lots of noises that I didn't
even know it could make!
Two weeks ago I took off from a Valley airport and couldn't see a thing
- so I circled and climbed until I could see lights in the direction I
wanted to go - and then departed. If you fly for light you won't hit
anything - except the light! How dumb is that ? There's a little tip
that Machado won't tell you

Tony

In article 0joad.218088$MQ5.166822@attbi_s52,
"G. Burkhart" wrote:

A question to the group. Do you normally fly many night solo cross
country flights? I have been going out to the local airport every couple
months to do some night flying, but it's usually solo just around the patch
to get night current so I can carry a passenger at night. The few times that
I have done cross countries at night, I either have a passenger (usually
pilot rated too) or an instructor (during training a few years ago).

I was going to do a short night XC a couple weeks ago and took off, got
about 10 miles out and didn't 'feel' right so I returned to the pattern. It
was probably just me, but it seemed like some strange noises from the plane
that I don't notice during day flight. If I have a passenger, I'm not as
concerned about flying XC at night. All of my night flights have been when
there is close to a full moon so visibility isn't a factor.

-Greg B.

--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL