Old August 7th 05, 08:00 AM
Amir

during Iran-Iraq war, because Iran has had the largest fleet of F-4s
after USA and in fact F-4 formed the backbone of our airforce during
Iran-Iraq war.
I can explaine for you many of stories in which I took part including
air battles, bombings, cooperation with our tomcats and so on. So
listen to one of them that is unforgetable for me.
In November 1982, I was coming back from a mission in Iraq, while I had
no air-to air missile, at this time the ground radar informed me of
approaching an F-1C Mirage to me .Because I had no air-to-air missile
so I decided to escape and went on high speed, but it was coming very
fast and very soon I realized that I would be shot down, if I didn't
do anything , so I reduced my altitude but that Mirage had intercepted
me and I was afraid.So I and my RIO requested an air support from our
base and also our distance was very far frome there.
I was thinking of being shot down by Mirage'missile that suddenly our
F-14 pilot - who was my friend- made radio contact with us and asked
our situation, only in a few seconds our F-14 Tomcat while sweeping
approached us from our head and passed upon us like a flash, in fact
it was intercepting that Mirage, ultimately we arrived our base and
landed safely while F-14 hadn't come back.
After that, my friend- the pilot of F-14 - told me that after passing
us he had gotten radar lock on Mirage and Mirage with seeing our F-14
had decided to leave the scene but it was too late for him because our
F-14 had fired an AIM-54 missile before it,which resulted in crash.
So if you have any idea about this my memoy I will be glad to answer.
Iranian F-4 pilot ( Retired )