Old February 12th 18, 06:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]

Default Trig TT21 + TN72 TABS ADS-B Out Install working great....

On Monday, February 12, 2018 at 8:00:49 AM UTC-8, Bob Caldwell (BC) wrote:
On Sunday, February 11, 2018 at 4:04:37 PM UTC-7, Darryl Ramm wrote:
I just helped set up the Ramy Yanetz ASG29's TRIG TT21 transponder with a TN72 GPS Source to use as a TABS ADS-B out system. That along with PowerFLARM in his glider makes for a pretty capable overall traffic awareness/collision avoidance system.

Here is a screenshot of my portable Stratux ADS-B receiver (as would be used in many GA aircraft) receiving the ADS-B signal from the TT21 over 20 nautical miles away. Yes, it's a wave day out at Williams.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Kik...SlslyEyMPo62Mu

And again just an reminder, the TN72 is a ~$350 (+ GPS antenna + install costs) GPS Source that can easily be added to any Trig transponder to deliver ADS-B Out in your glider. (If you need full 2020 Compliant ADS-B Out it's a little more involved). This is low-enough cost that it will likely be a "just do it" choice for owners who already have a Trig transponder, and who especially want to provide more visibility to GA traffic (and it makes your glider visible to PowerFLARM buddies at much longer distances).

So how much of a hassle was it to update the XPDR and head on the TT21? My stuff is buried in the mess of other stuff under my glare shield. Can a local Trig dealer do it or does it have to go to Micro Air in Kansas?

The Company for Trig Service is MidContinent Instruments, they will do the free firmware update to the TT22.

https://www.mcico.com/

Please talk to the service department, I think you only need to send them the main unit.

Information about the TT22, TN72

http://www.craggyaero.com/trig.htm

Richard
www.craggyaero.com