Old March 12th 18, 07:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default cockpit exit assist for older pilots

figure out what movements and muscles you use to get in and out of the cockpit, and set something up at home.

Google "dips exercise". The gyms have stations for this (I would have said "bars" but I didn't want some of you guys to show up expecting beer with your exercise). But you can do it using a chair, a low wall, whatever. Primary muscle is the triceps, which you can exercise other ways, too.

Useful for pushing yourself straight up using your arms. There are lots of ways to exit a cockpit depending on canopy, instrument panel location, strength, circumstances, etc. Diving over the side is said to work (if you can avoid hitting the wing in a bailout) but I haven't tried that at the airport yet.

Chip Bearden