Old October 18th 05, 07:45 PM
kgruber

Default 250 KIAS SPEED RESTRICTION

When the wings on the King Airs were falling off they didn't issue a speed
restriction. However, all the bolts have to be changed now at 5 years and
the bathtub fittings inspected. The later models have the wing bolts in
shear rather than tension. Too bad the theory was "safe life" rather than
"fail safe." But that WAS how most airplanes were built.

Karl
"Curator" N185KG

"Bob Moore" wrote in message
. 122...
wrote

Sounds fishy. If there were a structural problem that required slower
speeds, I would think the FAA would ground the fleet. And, who would
fly them anyway with such a limitation?

Not fishy at all. See my previous post about the windshield heat system.

In addition, I flew the L-188 Lockheed Electra for a couple of years
with an FAA mandated speed restriction due to the wings falling off.

Bob Moore
CFII ATP
PanAm (retired)