Old December 15th 03, 10:27 PM
John Shelton

That's easy. And I think that George Moffatt made reference to that in his
book when he commented that Hugh Bickel was particularly thoughtful for
painting the nose of his glider red.

When I am out there on course having not seen any of the nearby gliders for
an eternity and catch a glimpse of someone rolling into a climb, there is
nothing more encouraging than to look up and see R1 painted under the wing
instead of the number of a fellow doofus.

(In the case of R1, it would mean that I am way out in front, lost and in
deep kimchi, or under one of Roy Cundiff's old gliders)

"Doug Hoffman" wrote in message
So much for history. Isn't the real question now: "Why do we still use
them?"?

-Doug

From: (Andy Durbin)
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Date: 15 Dec 2003 05:47:30 -0800
Subject: Competition I.D.

Ray Lovinggood wrote in message
Does anyone know the story of Competition Identification
numbers and/or letters?

Who decided they were necessary?
When?
Why?

I imagine they were required when turn point verification was done by
ground observers. Before my time though. I started with the high tech
cartridge cameras but now I can't even remember what the film type
was.

Andy (GY)