Old April 15th 07, 07:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
noname

Default Options After Items Flagged as Unairworthy (was TBO and Airworthiness)

On Apr 14, 1:26 pm, Bob Noel
wrote:
In article . com,

"JB" wrote:
You didn't read my original carefully. I didn't say you had NO
options, but rather your options are limited. You can either A) "suck
it up" and let the shop do the work, OR B) go thru the process that we
both described with ferry permits, etc. But if you choose B, in
addition to the hassles of permits, signatures, reviews, etc., you
have to ask yourself whether taking it someplace else will really make
enough of a difference to make all those time-consuming hassles
worthwhile? In the end, will you save $50 or 50%?? No way to know
what the 2nd shop will insist on fixing or let pass. In my case,
since my partners and I have normal day jobs with limited time to
spend calling and driving somewhere to sign forms, we decided to go
with option A...especially since the 2nd shop was booked solid for 6
weeks which would have kept us grounded waiting.

Even if it would cost me more to go the ferry route, I wouldn't let the
first shop rip me off.

--
Bob Noel
(goodness, please trim replies!!!)

I agree what Denny says with the following exception-

After you get a discrepancy list from the IA, and the IA signs the log
book,the annual inspection is complete. No other inspection is
required.
At this point, the list of discrepancies needs to be attended to and
signed off by any licensed A&P, once this is done, the aircraft is
airworthy.
It's up to the A&P how the repairs are to be made.