Old November 2nd 20, 02:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kenn Sebesta

Default Gliding Club Experiences

On Friday, October 30, 2020 at 11:20:51 PM UTC-4, Patrick wrote:
Hello Gliders,

I wanted to make this post to see other pilots experiences at their local gliding clubs. My experience at my local gliding club is so-so, speaking as a young soon to be solo pilot, because of organisational management.

My friend and I have been quite frustrated due to extreme slowness of getting everything into play, from the briefing to bringing out the gliders. Only yesterday, we had the gliders out and ready to be towed to the glider strip at 9.30am, our first flight was at 11.15am... and it was a spectacular day for soaring.

Is this the norm?

I would love to hear your experiences! Thank you!

I understand how disappointing it can be to show up and not fly. During my first season (at a French club), I logged 8 hours at the airport for every 1 hour flown. This somewhat turned me off from gliding because the enjoyment vs. effort ratio was off kilter.Â*

However, the cultural change you're after might not be appropriate for your club. Since clubs are run by volunteers, this means that there is a limit to what we can demand of our clubmates. No one is paid to be there, and so if volunteers aren't enjoying themselves and finding the activity rewarding then they will soon burn-out.

So on the one hand, the operations you describe could be the sign of a club in difficulty, where everyone is disappointed because things aren't gelling and so they aren't quick to get things done. Why should the tow-pilot rush to get there early if no one else has bothered to get out of bed?

On the other hand, it could be a club which has found its right level of engagement,Â*where people have the right work-life balance. If you have young children at home, or you have a two hour drive to the field, it can be hard to get out the door in time to be there by 8AM.

I think it's very important to evaluate if you and the club are not simply good fits for each other-- in which case you might have no option than to find another club-- or if the club is in need of some leadership and might appreciate an energy shot to get things rolling again.Â*

My advice would be to open a conversation with your club members about expectations. If everyone enters it with an open mind, then the results will be great. Either your club will start to turn a corner, or it will better understand that it's not a good fit for people like yourselves. It's important to accept that both are good outcomes, even if you obviously have a favorite horse in this race.