Old March 23rd 04, 08:50 PM
Peter Duniho

"Rob Perkins" wrote in message
The old Air Force One airplanes at Wright-Patterson can never be
h-capped accessable. The passages left to museumgoers is only two feet
wide, after all the plexiglass protective walls are accounted for.

In spite of this I think the Air Force is still letting people go
through the planes.

There are plenty of examples of places that are accessible by the public,
but not to all handicapped people. I'm no expert on disability law, but
it's obvious that the ADA has some sort of allowance for situations where
accessibility is not compatible with practicality or history. It's not the
case that simply being accessible by the public is in and of itself
sufficient for requiring handicapped access under the ADA.

It's possible the Evergreen Museum actually does believe that the ADA
requires the Spruce Goose to be made handicapped-accessible, but I doubt
that the law actually does. There are too many examples of inaccessible
museum displays, aircraft and otherwaise, for that to actually be the case.
You mentioned the AF1 displays at Wright-Patterson, and the AF1 display at
the Museum of Flight in Seattle has the same characteristic, as do many of
the displays at the Pima Air Museum in Tucson (including their AF1 planes).

Someone needs to get the folks at Evergreen straightened out.

Pete