Old September 16th 04, 08:29 PM
James M. Knox

"Maule Driver" wrote in
m:

So, as an owner I should know this but I'll ask anyway..... Will
insurance payoff on this one? If he was flying his own plane? If he
was flying Dad's plane?

Assuming all the details were in fact as reported, then:

Flying his own plane - various insurance companies would pay off on all
other planes and structures, but almost certainly not on his. His own
insurance company (if he has insurance) would be eventually be the payee to
everyone else.

Flying his fathers plane, with permission - insurance would pay off on
everything, providing he meets the open pilot clause of the policy -
otherwise it doesn't pay off on the amphib (unless it can be shown that the
father was mislead about the pilot's experience). Without permission,
insurance pays off on everything, regardless.

In all of the above cases, insurance company then subrogates against the
son for all amounts paid out.

[Just my take on it - your mileage (and insurance) may vary.]