Old March 11th 08, 01:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Default Asymmetrical thurst

Matt Whiting wrote:
Watching the videos of the heavies crabbing to a landing in high cross winds
prompts me to ask: why don't they use asymmetrical thrust instead of
kicking it straight in the flare?

Too slow and too hard to manage.

At least in a jet. The time delay involved in spooling up probably has the most
to do with it not being currently used.

Even in a single, why don't we see more forward slips to a landing instead
of crab, kick, and pray?

Poor instructors.

Have these techniques gone the way of the steam gauges?

The first technique (differential thrust) never existed to my knowledge
and the second technique is alive and well with well-trained pilots.

I've used differential thrust before so I know the technique exists. However I
was flying something with piston engines which essentially had instant reaction
to throttle inputs. Passengers liked it better than the more usual methods
because it presented them with a more conventional view looking out the window,
hence less anxiety. When you land on just one wheel after a successful slip to
a landing, they think you've screwed up.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com