Old March 12th 08, 02:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Default Asymmetrical thrust

Kobra wrote:
Even in a single, why don't we see more forward slips to a landing instead
of crab, kick, and pray?

I see no reason to pray. There's little difference in out come with the
crab technique or the forward slip.

There is one reason you should always pray: the wind is seldom a constant. As
you're coming in on short final and the wind rapidly shifts, will it happen at
the worst possible time? Will it do something so violent as to be totally
unexpected and leaving you no time to recover? *That's* why you should pray.

I can recall what started as a normal but gusty landing in a Cherokee Six. I
touched down acceptably and rolled a couple of hundred feet, then found myself
flying again; only this time I was cocked into the wind at about a 40 degree
angle to the runway at an altitude of about 2 feet. I had been rolling so far
after my touchdown that I had completely relaxed; all that was left to do was
taxi. Heh heh... the wind had other ideas. I firewalled it and managed to keep
from coming down sideways. *That's* the kind of stuff that causes me to pray at
hinky moments.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com