Old May 4th 05, 11:02 PM
John Galban

Jay Honeck wrote:

I suppose after all the unsettled weather we've had the atmosphere is

still
stirred up -- but no one standing on the ground would EVER have

guessed what
was brewing and burbling just a few thousand feet overhead. By all

appearances, it was the perfect day to fly -- yet it was the most
uncomfortable flight we've had in a good long time.

A clearly defined haze layer can often signal the boundary between
two airmasses. Turbulence is often (but not always) a possibility in
this shear zone. Did you happen to check winds aloft and PIREPS?
Usually, when it's dead calm on the ground and windy upstairs, you know
you're going to be in for a bumpy ride.

One of the bumpiest approaches I ever made was through one of these
shear zones. Ground wind was reported by the tower to be 10 kts from
the east. On a 2 mile final, my GPS was telling me I had 40 kts from
the north at 1,500 ft. AGL. That last 1,500 ft. was a hell of a wild
ride, but when I touched down, the wind was blowing lightly from the
east. Just as advertised.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)