Old August 25th 19, 03:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Landing Gear Handle Interferes With Dive Brakes

I keep hearing that that is a good thing, but I beg to differ.Â* Some
times it's a good thing to be able to extend the brakes/spoilers in
flight without lowering the gear.

An example of the above is when you're cruising under a cloud street
and, through inattention or poor planning, you get a bit too high just
as you hit some powerful lift.Â* It would be nice to be able to open the
brakes if you're too far from the edge of the street without having to
fiddle with the landing gear.Â* I've had to do this in my LS-6a.Â* What a
wonderful gear handle design.Â* AND it's on the other side of the cockpit
from the brake handle!

My Stemme has electric gear but a god-awful warning horn and a pretty
long extension time.Â* It also has a very low gear door speed limit, so
landing gear is not much of an option for reducing altitude/speed
without a bit of planning.
--
Dan, 5J