Old February 7th 05, 02:07 PM
Peter R.

Roy Smith wrote:

On the other hand, small airports often have direct comm with ATC;

True, but many airports in mountainous areas do not. These are the
airports where it might be tempting to depart VFR rather than wait 10 to 15
minutes for the inbound IFR arrival to land and cancel.

In good visibility, high ceiling weather, departing VFR wouldn't be an
issue. In marginal VFR weather where one might not be able to raise ATC in
the air without climbing into the clouds despite being told that one could,
it will be an issue. I discovered this butt clenching experience and I
won't do it again.

--
Peter