Old August 16th 03, 03:20 PM
Dennis O'Connor

The majority of helo airlifts are unjustified medically... This has been
researched by multiple different researchers with the same findings...
Horror stories of ambulances sitting at the scene holding the patient for
the arrival of the helo for longer than it would have taken them to drive
the route in the first place... Patients with non life threatening injuries
being airlifted, and on, and on... I could regale you with tales of my days
as an assistant coroner trying to reason with the police officer at the
scene who was just salivating to call a helo - but, this will get way too
long.. Further, helo airlifts have an astounding crash and burn statistical
rate... Ranks right up there with driving your Harley to the bar on New
Years Eve...

The helos cost a fortune to keep and to run, so they have to haul cases that
need not have been airlifted in order to have the cash flow to meet the
overhead...

Politics play the major role in the funding of hospital helos... I had a
conversation last week with the CEO of our hospital, which is just now
acquiring it's own helo... I asked him; Why are you getting a helo now when
xxx hospital's helo has been serving the city for years? With just the
trace of a smile he said; Well, for one you no longer sit on the executive
committee... (Guess how I voted every time it came up) And two, that helo
is flying around with xxx's name on the side... We can't have that!

Denny
"Judah" wrote in message
How much would it cost to get the ambulances to keep the sirens blasting
during their ride?