Old October 23rd 09, 07:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Jeppesen Garmin Nav Updates

On Oct 23, 12:29*am, Bob Noel wrote:
In article
,

" wrote:
Perhaps not. *But, at least it's been validated as airworthy.

Since when is software validated as airworthy?

Can you show me what the FAA standards are to make it "airworthy?

Software itself isn't really certified. *The FAA certifies
the hardware and software together.

But RTCA DO-178B documents software considerations for
certification of software. *DO-200A and DO-201A contain
standards, if you will, for data/databases used in avionics.

Note that these RTCA documents are not available for free.

Ah, thanks Bob. What you bring out makes sense for the software
installed in IFR certified panel mounted GPS's.

But Sam was referring to computer based software in the beginning of
this "sub thread" (for lack of a better term) about the Aviation Trip
Pack program (ATP) not being validated as "airworthy".

I don't think there are any computer based "FAA approved software".

I know of references for FAA approved flight briefing sites, but no
reference to the software in itself. ATP reaches out to DUAT for the
briefing which makes my briefing through that software legal from what
I understand, but the software itself does not have a FAA stamp of
approval. Same for Golden Eagle software that accesses duats.com
website.

Hope this makes sense!