Old May 29th 20, 12:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Default Standalone artificial horizon

On Thursday, May 28, 2020 at 4:02:59 PM UTC-7, 2G wrote:
On Thursday, May 28, 2020 at 7:59:57 AM UTC-7, Richard Lancaster wrote:
Hi all,

I’m looking for a reliable, high quality, standalone artificial horizon that fits cleanly in a round hole (I’m not wanting a square barnacle that “fits” into a round hole).

Does anyone have any flight experience with either of these:

uAvionix AV-30:
https://uavionix.com/products/av-30/

RC Allen RCA2610:
https://www.kellymfg.com/images/RCA2...nformation.pdf

Any hands on info appreciated.

Many thanks,

Richard

This video shows the AV-30 in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nh9DiMPpKAA
Here is a pretty good review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8p3ncDYFiI
If all you want is an attitude indicator a better choice might be the AV-20.

I have the Garmin G5 PFD and love it. It differs from the AV-30 (besides being square) in that the airspeed and altitude displays are strips that move up and down. I use the altimeter as a vario for weak thermals. Also, you can very precisely control airspeed vs a steam gauge ASI. I also have the battery backup option on my G5 so it has a power source if the **** hits the fan, an important consideration for your PFD.

Tom

Is that battery backup built in to the G5 unit?