Old October 22nd 03, 06:57 PM
AaronK

Default Flight Simulator now being used by flight instructors

"Angus Lepper" wrote in message
It may be being used, but it is not certified for use. I.E you can't log
flight hours in it. As far as I could tell, I couldn't be bothered reading
it all. There is no point in it being reccomended if it really doesn't

count
towards your PPL, IFR or anything else!

Well, If it shortens the amount of dual time required it counts. It also
counts if its flexible and fun, meaning you will probably use it more thus
learn more. I use FS9 all the time to stay IFR/VFR sharp. The truth is
that it's a pretty good program with tons of aftermarket support and a lot
of depth and flexibility. It has plenty of problems, but I've seen much
worse problems in programs that pretend not to be entertainment packages.

Here is another example of flight schools using FS9
http://www.realairsimulations.com/ These guys have a free 172 model for
FS9 that is very accurate. Another add-on is Reality XP's Garmin 500 series
GPS trainer ported from Garmins own trainer. FS9 has the same GPS built in,
but some of the features got lost in translation.

I keep learning new tricks I can do with FS that really help me stay
current. I have a lot of saved flight situations in categories like
emergencies, approaches, holds, basic skills, etc. The saved flights have
notes as I load them. I run through these from time to time, then when I
fly for real, it pays off as it did during a recent IPC. Just my 2. Each
to there own. ... Aaron