Old February 12th 06, 04:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Texas Parasol Plans...

In article k.net, Richard
Lamb says...
I went out to Kitty Hawk Airfield last weekend to look at a CGS
Hawk I was hoping to buy. The fellow I met with (Don) was very
knowledgeable about the design - AND that particular airplane.
I'm very impressed with Chuck's design, but I walked (ran?) away
from this airplane.

A few years ago some fool decided the plane needed more power
and mounted an 80 hp Rotax 912 on it. (anybody here familiar
with the Hawk?). On the first takeoff, the engine twisted plumb
off the mount, cut the tailboom off and (obviously) crashed, killing
the pilot.

Rich any more info on this crash? I haven't heard about it .Usually any time a
Hawk goes in I hear about it.

Don was very up-front and honest about it - and the condition of
the rebuilt machine. The tailboom was extended, the nose also,
and a Rotax 582 installed. It weighs well over 350 pounds.
But many of the other local "experts" call it a POS death trap.

Unfortunately, it is still refered to as a CGS Hawk - and I'll bet my
bottom dollar that Chuck S absolutely hates that.

Unfortunately it happens more then I'd like it to. Every wants to be a designer
and "improve" your airplane,then when there's problems they drop it on your lap.
They will always call it a Hawk so they can sell it .Then some poor unsuspecting
guy buys it and blames me for the problems because he was told it was a Hawk.

Just about the same way I feel about what you fellows have done.

Understood completely.

See ya

Chuck S

Disgusted,