Old September 21st 05, 04:16 AM
A Lieberman

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 01:34:25 GMT, john smith wrote:

I keep telling my wife, when we retire, that I would love to open a cafe.
The market is there, no question about it.

I don't know what the business situation is where you live, but here in
Central Ohio, 50% of the new restaurants don't last one year.

Hey John,

Suffice it to say, it would be a supplement to my retirement. My own
airport only has vending machines. Per airnav.com

Aircraft operations: avg 148/day
54% local general aviation
46% transient general aviation
1% military

That's a lot of traffic, which includes corporate jets and king airs. So,
I would have a very interested market at my own airport. We get a lot of
weekend warriors that fly in. Lets also talk about the hangar flyers that
show up 7:00 in the morning for their cup of coffee. Lots of potential to
say the least.

Location, naturally is everything. If I look at HKS (Class D airport),
they average the following per airnav.com

Aircraft operations: avg 171/day
51% local general aviation
37% transient general aviation
6% military
6% air taxi

So, I have 2 airports I can consider within 10 miles of where I live.

Personally, I wouldn't want a full scale restaurant, just something where
pilots can come in, get something decent home cooked food to eat and fly
away to return another date. It sure would beat vending machines!

Allen