Old July 8th 05, 06:05 AM
Morgans

"n93332" wrote

A month later I took my Ercoupe in for its annual inspection and got to
talking with the mechanic/inspector. He told me that in order for the

plane
to be flown by a Sport Pilot, the plane would have to be recertified as a
Sport Class plane, then I would have to get checked out by a Sport Pilot

CFI
and any certified pilot that wanted to fly it would also need to be

checked
out because it's Sport Class certified. Keeping it certified as a normal
aircraft, any certified (non-sport) pilot can fly it without needing the

CFI
checkout.

There aren't many (any?) Sport Pilot CFI's in this area yet. So, I'll

leave
my plane certified as normal. Hopefully the FAA will change its rules a

bit
on the Sport Pilot and Sport Plane requirements that make it more

automatic
to be able to become a sport pilot if your medical expires. Also make a
sport plane be able to use by both Sport pilots and regular pilots without
having to recertify it each time.

I was thinking of getting a Sport Pilot CFI rating added to my private
certificate (see the FAR's, it's possible) but right now it sounds like a
lot of hoops to jump through to do it...

I think there are a bunch of incorrect statements/assertions in there, but
lets Ron Want-a-jaw give it a crack. He was the best at explaining it, the
last time it came up. Heck, I even understood it! g
--
Jim in NC