Old June 7th 05, 06:15 PM
Mike Rapoport

"Frank Stutzman" wrote in message
In rec.aviation.owning Mike Rapoport wrote:

There are many tens of thousands of 430s and 530 installed and upgrading
them represents a lot of revenue for Garmin, so I doubt that they are
just
sitting on their hands.

But at the $1500 price that Garmin has publically committed to is it that
big of a revenue stream for them? I mean its not chump change for some of
us, but considering what needs to happen to a 430 for this to work (new
software, new processor, new re-certification(?), the overhead of a whole
upgrade program), I'm surpised that Garmin can even break even at that
price.

--
Frank Stutzman
Bonanza N494B "Hula Girl"

Garmin will probably do a little under $200MM this year in total aviation
revenue. When you consider that the potential WAAS upgrade market is about
$90MM and that they will also be able to charge more for 430/530 units that
have WAAS, it is a significant market for them. When and if the FAA
publishes a significant number of LPV approaches, nobody will be able to
sell a non-WAAS box so they have to add the functionality eventually.
Perhaps they know more about how many new approaches the FAA is going to
commission than we do? Why doesn't Honeywell have a WAAS box out?

Mike
MU-2