Old June 7th 05, 09:40 PM
Roy Page

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
k.net...

"Javier Henderson" wrote in message
"Mike Rapoport" writes:

I suspect that there are a lot of reasons including:

Certification issues
Availible engineering resources
Slow implementation of LPV approaches by FAA

There are many tens of thousands of 430s and 530 installed and upgrading
them represents a lot of revenue for Garmin, so I doubt that they are
just
sitting on their hands.

My cynical view is different.

Garmin announced WAAS upgradeability to compete with the CNX80.

Garmin acquired UPSAT, and with it the CNX80, eliminating competition.

WAAS upgrade for the GNS series, you ask... yeah, um...

-jav

That makes no sense from their point of view. They make money by coming
up with new things to sell you.

Mike
MU-2

Yes, I agree that Garmin will make more money by selling something new.
Why bother with upgrading the 430 when the 480 is selling and is so much
better ?
I think they will finish the engineering of the G1000 related stuff and they
will announce a complete new box making 430's and 480's obsolete.
In modern day digital terms, the 430 is yesterday's CPU.
Why bother retrofitting it with a maths co-processor ?

--
Roy
N5804F - On old PA28-181 Piper Archer II with steam gages !